Thursday, April 17, 2008

Visual Review #1: Rashy Rabbit


To complement the popular 'aural review' segments found on the Comic Book Haters' podcast, these special "Visual Reviews" should add another layer of insight into the CBH mindset. The titles discussed may be found on future CBH (the Comic Book Haters) podcasts.
Rashy Rabbit by Josh Latta
I really, really liked the last issue of Rashy Rabbit. I mean that; it was really good. It wasn't the end-all be-all of indie comics, but it certainly had a strong enough tie to the 'classic' modern-independent era (early 1990s). There was lots to love. This latest issue took me somewhat by surprise. It was, without a doubt, lightyears ahead of its predecessor.
If you're not a fan of hyperbole, take a walk for a few minutes. This comic deserves nothing but the utmost praise and respect. It was truly amazing. The pacing, characterization, dialogue....even the panel structure was superb. This was a Class A comic all the way.
The plot is centered primarily around Rashy Rabbit yet again, an everyman loser who's just trying to get his own. This time, however, several new characters are introduced and given their fair share of the limelight. Again, the artwork is truly fantastic. It's reminiscent of a WWII era Warner Brothers cartoon. Or, at least the comic book versions from the same era.
I think it's safe to assume that Latta will be courted by Hollywood, creating some hip children's cartoon for a trendy studio sooner or later.
This might all come across as sycophantic blabbery, but bare in mind it is one hundred percent sincere. This truly was a great comic; well, well worth the few measly dollars it costs.

9 Comments:

Blogger Josh Latta said...

Holy crap, thanks dude!

I think that WWII era Looney Tunes are quite possibly the best thing ever. Yep, even better than god.

One thing though, that's not the latest cover-
Oh, and it's prolly best to go to
www.cutegirldemographics.com
instead, I update that one more often. Plus, you can check out other minis by the likes of me, Brad mcGinty and Lulu Callier

4/18/2008 08:31:00 AM  
Blogger Ryan said...

What is the book like printing-wise? The paper stock, cover and all that. And do you know how it's printed? Lulu.com or something else?

4/18/2008 12:31:00 PM  
Blogger Josh Latta said...

The paper and cover stock isn't too different than the kind used on Archie or any other cheap newsstand comic- I mean, uh...Can you get comics on newsstands? Typical 80 pound cover, 50 pound guts.
No lulu.com does a fine job, and so does ka-blam, but I went with a local printer. I didn't really save much, but i had a hard time finding someone to print the dang ol' thing. I had a great quote then the guy saw it and told me he wouldn't print it.

4/18/2008 12:37:00 PM  
Blogger The Comic Book Haters said...

Yeah, that was an amazing comic. Best comic of the year so far, I could honestly say. You really capture a vibe in comics that has been missing for years. Even the print job is quality stuff; the cover has a great retro-vibe to it, too. I felt kind of stupid putting up the cover to the last issue, but I couldn't find a digital version of the new one, and I don't really know how to use a scanner.

4/18/2008 09:06:00 PM  
Blogger Josh Latta said...

Well, thanks again-
you're too kind.
It's funny you should mention the 90's in the review 'cos originally, Rashy Rabbit was gonna be set in the 90's. I opted out of making it a specific time just due to the fact that a funny-animal-period 90's piece seems too convoluted.

4/19/2008 12:06:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you ship to Australia? I just clicked on the 'add to Paypal cart button' for the two Rashy Rabbit titles, and it calculated shipping & handling at $1.50.
That seems suspiciously low to me, like it surface mail within the U.S. only.

4/21/2008 12:36:00 AM  
Blogger Josh Latta said...

Sure, I 'll ship to Australia!
Just paypal me an extra 5 dollars for shipping at lattaland (at)gmail.com (get it while our American dollar is sluggish!)

4/21/2008 06:39:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can add the comics to the PayPal shopping basket easily enough, but how do I add $4 for shipping and handling?

4/29/2008 07:22:00 AM  
Blogger Josh Latta said...

Oh, you'd just sign into your paypal account and just put in my email address (lattaland@gmail.com) and just send it that way.

Oh, if you want, just click on something in the catalog that's 3 dollars( with the dollar shipping) and leave me a note that the extra book was really the shipping-
we'll figure it out!

4/29/2008 07:57:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative 
Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5 License.