Friday, January 06, 2006

Schooly G Posting Creates Controversey

Earlier today, host and co-founder of the popular 'Comic Book Hater' podcast Schooly G found himself victim of what some are referring to as an act of censorship. While replying to a thread on the Comic Geek Speak forum entitled ‘Ask Matt S.,’ Schooly replaced his usual icon with a bastardized form of Matt S.’s own avatar. The original icon depicted Hank Hill (of Fox television’s popular animated program ‘King of the Hill’) with a slightly demonic looking expression, and what has been described as a ‘Santa Hat’ adorning his head. Schooly’s aberration to the original and added a brown image on the lower-left quadrant, placed in the general vicinity of Hill’s mouth.

“It looked kind of like a turd, or maybe a brown penis,” said Schooly’s co-host, DJ Sloofus. “It was pretty crudely drawn, so it was hard to tell exactly what it was. Knowing Schooly as well as I do, I’d be willing to bet that he meant it to be offensive.”

Regardless of intention, the removal caused immediate outrage amongst the internet comic book community. “Schooly has every right to put his own icon up there,” said GrendelFan101, a member of the popular rec.arts.comics newsgroup. “Last time I checked, this was a free country. I guess some parts aren’t as free as the rest.”

Others were not as forgiving. ElricBloodsword, posting on a popular podcasting forum, said “That guy Schooly is an asshole. He was messing with Matt S. before, on the Comic-Book Haters thread. They should have deleted his entire post, not just the icon.”

Within minutes, the moderators of the CGS forum did just that. Schooly G’s post, which referenced virginity, vaginas and other ‘adult’ topics, was removed from the thread entirely. Sloofus, posting shortly thereafter, attempted to apologize on behalf of his partner. “I wanted to set the slate clean, and try to exonerate myself from any ill will. I’m planning a cookout once the spring starts up, and I was going to ask Matt S. to come to it. I hope this doesn’t make things uncomfortable between him and Schooly, because last year the event was ruined when some of my buddies got drunk and started pissing on the neighbor’s lawn. I hope we can get through this one without any major ‘incidents.’”

Upon hearing of his icon’s deletion, Schooly G. returned to the CGS forum to voice his discontent. “i hope my new icon is acceptable to the NAZIS THAT RUN THIS PLACE!,” he said, in an obviously heated post. No ‘emoticons’ (characters used by grade-schoolers to indicate an expression of feeling) were used, implying that Schooly’s comments were meant to be interpreted ‘as-is.’

According to Sloofus, “I know Schooly was feeling pretty hot at the time, but that may have been a little much. I mean, sure, I’d be pissed if they took my icon down too, but I probably would have just let it go.”

Good Carny Folk was unavailable for comment.

Readers of this blog are invited to make up their own minds as to whether or not Schooly’s revised icon could be deemed ‘offensive.’

The Original Schooly's variation

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah and that guy matt s (i think its short for s-hole) started that forum topic himself. what kind of looser starts a topic about himself? i guess noone likes him enough to start a thread for him, and defintly noone gives a shit what he has to say about anything.

_+++_'"MASTER HATER":_+++_

1/06/2006 09:38:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. I guess I missed a lot today. I picked a bad time to get my stitches out and take a trip to the big city of Frederick.

As far as the icon sporting either a turd or a brown penis is concerned, why does it have to be one or the other? Could it not be both?

Perhaps the only way to tell for sure is to have Matt S. pose for a picture. First with a turd in his mouth and then again with a brown penis in his mouth. Being that it is Friday night, it shouldn't be too hard to work out the logistics of such a request.

1/06/2006 10:00:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Schooly is a grade A cunt...but not because of that Hank Hill icon or his usual juvenile postings which are more boring than Warren Ellis....but just because we all know he sucks Cappy's dick every night while dressed up as Moon Knight. F Schooly...you fucking hillbilly retard!

Yours truly,
Bad Carny Folk

1/07/2006 12:02:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey guys - Peter here of Comic Geek Speak. See? I get the humor in this "news item". No ill will.

Don't live up to your name guys.

PS/ No, Matt S. did not start the thread himself. So there. ;)

1/07/2006 12:04:00 AM  
Blogger The Comic Book Haters said...

Cappy:

Did you even read that article? I just glanced over it, but it was obvious that it wasn't Matt S. who said it looked like a turd.

I wish they didn't print my quote about the cookout. I'm kind of having second thoughts... Matt S. didn't answer any of my questions on the comic geek speak forum, which I thought was a little rude. Just a little bit. I'm willing to look the other way, and be the bigger man, but just the same I don't think I'm going to invite him. No hard feelings.

-DJ Sloofus

1/07/2006 07:51:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe if you spent half the time and energy on your podcast that you do on this kind of juvenile rubbish then you wouldn't have a blog and forum composed almost entirely of you guys talking to yourselves.

1/08/2006 01:20:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, if you spent half the time and energy on your podcast and building an audience that you do on this kind of juvenile rubbish, then maybe you wouldn't have to have a blog and forum that seems to be comprised almost entirely of you guys talking to yourselves.

1/08/2006 01:22:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Schooly fucking sucks!

1/08/2006 03:02:00 AM  
Blogger The Comic Book Haters said...

Both of you are correct. Thanks for listening!

-DJ Sloofus

1/08/2006 12:36:00 PM  
Blogger Schooly said...

thanks for the repetitive comments, anonymous. i noticed that you changed one line in the 2nd one. you sure are a thinker. next time, perhaps you will notice the "preview" button and the "publish" button are two separate entities.

Also, the whole "building an audience" deal- perhaps our audience has better things to do with their time. I know some places, like Comic Geek Speak, have a very active forum. By active I mean a place where people have the time and energy to hit refresh every 3 seconds to see if their thread has been hit.

you were right about one thing though. i have too much time on my hands, as evidenced by my participation in this podcast. what does it say about a guy who posts on blog that he hates? also, that guy doesn't use a name or even a pseudonym.

thanks for listening! keep trying. you'll get laid someday.

1/08/2006 06:05:00 PM  
Blogger Schooly said...

I'd also like to add that anyone who posts here is a total fag.

1/08/2006 06:06:00 PM  
Blogger The Comic Book Haters said...

I was going to comment, but I don't want this to be comprised solely of us posting without any outside influence, so I won't.

-DJ Sloofus

P.S. I am drunk.

1/08/2006 08:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative 
Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5 License.